Monday 16 January 2012

A new awakening... Food or Mood?

Which prevail? The type of food? Or the mood at the table? 

I have a new awakening; that it is not the type or setting of a dinner that matters -- be it hawker centre, a fine restaurant, a elaborately prepared home-cooked meal or a rushed simple canned food dinner, it is a joyous heart at the dining table!

Which is why Christians believe that we say Grace and be thankful for the meal set in front of us. For surely one way that God blesses us is bread at the table. And the way we bless the Lord is to enjoy our food.

I have long taught my boys, it is those hands that worked the field to bring back the bacon, and the hands that cooked the meal that we give thanks for. And at my table, we must always remain thankful and enjoy our meal and most of all, the fellowship. Keep the conversations lighthearted. Fill every mouthful with praise. Drown the table with chatters and laughter. Speak nothing more than trivialities.

Being a stayhome mom has caused me to cherish all these tiny moments a lot more than when I was working and hurrying through my meals. Where no time is to be lost; every seconds count. Where family gathering together, though important is far and few.

Nothing pleases and blesses my heart more these days than when I know my family and Lord is blessed with my labor. It makes my heart swell with pride when I know every grain of rice and every slice of meat that I have cooked are nestling nicely in some tummies out there. 

Does it matter if it is canned sardine or a canned baked beans? Will you cry foul if it is a overnight dish? Does it warrant a reaction if it's a hawker centre takeaway rice? Must it be 3 dish 1 soup e-v-e-r-y meal?!

If you put things in proper perspective, honestly it really does not matter. Once you have determined what is a Rule and an Exception to the Rule, you become more accepting of a varied arrangement.

Ever seen a black face at a table before? Or crying, cranky children? Does it not just spoil your entire mood and appetite?! Because, truly what's the point of serving the best cut of beef or the freshest fish or the most expensive wine if the hearts are not happy? Some may beg to differ... that food can be equally uplifting and comforting. Sure it can be! No debates about that.

But I would rather sit alone at a corner with a pack of cold, stale nasi lemak.

Know why McDonald's is a timeless hit? Junk as it may be labelled, people are always happy eating it and eating there.

It epitomizes the spirit of eating -- Joyous Hearts.

No comments: