Thursday 19 January 2012

Bringing Up Boys - James Dobson

This is a FANTASTIC book!

Naturally, what drew me and glued me was Chapter 7 -- Mothers and Sons.

Brace yourself. I'm gonna share some excerpts (and reflections, if any) as I re-read this book for the 4th time... ... deep breath...

Except 1... Breathe in... Ready... Go!:

Despite the importance of an early mother-child bond, it may seem strange that little boys begin to pull away from their moms during the period between 15 - 36 months. Boys,... become negative at that time and resist any efforts to corral or manage them. ... They usually respond better to fathers - but not very much. ... Mom must take charge during these delightful but challenging days of toddlerhood. ... Respect for her authority and leadership are rooted in this period, and opportunities that are lost will be difficult to recover later on. Just remember that boys desperately need to be supervised. They also need to be 'civilized', quite literally. In the absence of firm but loving leadership, they tend to follow their own selfish and destructive inclinations, which can be harmful to a boy and to other members of the family. ...

breathe out... ...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for reminding me. We have this audio book and I need to take it out and listen to it. My friend gave it to me as a gift years ago and I never found the time to listen to it. I need to now ... what with 3 boys!

Unknown said...

Thanks for reminding me. We have this audio book and I need to take it out and listen to it. My friend gave it to me as a gift years ago and I never found the time to listen to it. I need to now ... what with 3 boys!