Friday 12 October 2012

Pork Ribs Pear Soup

It is the air we breathe!

Cracked my head for some g o o d soup for cough. Did a Pumpkin Pork Ribs with Apricot Seeds (ya, I should post this)... Done Lotus Roots Pork Ribs (ya, post this too...)... Tri-Colour Carrot Pork Ribs (alright, and this too...). What else can I do?

Then I saw some pears lying idle in my fridge, wasting its life away. Such a sin.

So I chopped the pear up in big chunks, and dump them in my pork ribs soup, throw in a honey date, and some apricot seeds. And viola! A soup is born. Headache solved.

Amazingly, Boys love it!! Including my not-so-enthusiastic eater, Son3.

The soup is very refreshing I must say. And it taste just slightly on the sweet side, possibly coz of the honey date.

What pear did I use? This time, I used this called Yuan Huang Li (its big like Fuji apple, brown skin, pearly white flesh, and it's said to be cooling). It is important to put in some dates I heard, as the pear is cooling. Red dates will serve to 'warm it up' a bit. To non-Chinese readers, I'm sorry if you are a bit lost here. Chinese cuisines are divided broadly into Heaty and Cooling... yay, I know I know... I should explain... Some day some day, when my cough is better and I find my vocal back.

Till then...

Here's what you'd need:

* Pork Ribs (blanched)
* 1 pear (I used Yuan Huang Li)
* 1 honey date (or 6-8 red dates; I used both)
* Apricot seeds (Nan Bei Xin; handful)
* Wolfberry

This is what I did:

1. Prepare your pork ribs soup. Let it simmer for a while and throw in the date.

2. Keep pot in Magic Cooker and let it self-cook for as long as you are happy... (or if you are not using Magic Cooker, let pork ribs soup simmer over low fire for 2 hours or so till porky is soft and tender).

3. Cut pear into chunks and remove core and seeds. Keep the skin on.

4. Add in pear and wolfberries and salt to taste (to totally infuse the flavors together, I added the pear 4 hrs before serving time).

5. Serve

No comments: