Monday 24 September 2012

Banana Walnut Loaf Cake

This is what I call "accidental success".

I drove into a petrol kiosk and while waiting for my bill to be ready, I wandered around. A very dangerous thing to do really. Most of the time, I ended up buying things that I don't really quite need.

So anyway, I saw a bunch of bananas, hanging wasted on the shelves. Looking blackish yellow, fully ripen, about to fall off its own fingers, I had to do something. I took it to the counter and bought it home, with NO single idea why I did what I did, and what am I to do with this bunch of bananas!

Looking at its fast deteriorating state, I gathered I have only one day to act before it joins the rest of the trash. So I scrambled for recipes for the best ever Banana Walnut cake,... or Bread... or Muffins... or something... anything.

I chanced upon Food 4 Tots, scrutinized the recipes to bits, and decided this shall be it!

What do you know!? It is mind-blowingly good!

Everyone, and I mean, everyone, loves it. It takes a strong strong man (or, woman) to resist another slice. It is soft, moist, fragrant and not overly sweet! In fact, the sweetness comes through only after a few bites. Nuttily crunchy, the walnuts add a different dimension to the soft moist texture. And the smell of baked bananas in the house quite simply drive you bananas!

Have this with tea or coffee on a lazy Sunday afternoon with your other half. Sit and watch the world goes by or watch your brood tear your living room apart, and be grateful for your spouse. Spouses always look calmer than you, don't they?

Am I blessed or what?

So anyway, I doubled the portion and baked two loaves. No regrets except I should have made more!

Here's what you'd need (2 loaves portion):

* 120gm unsalted butter
* 150gm sugar (original recipe calls for 160gm)
* 2 eggs (room temperature; lightly beaten)
* 260gm plain flour
* 1 tsp baking soda
* 1/2 tsp baking powder
* 1/4 tsp salt (original recipe calls for 1/2tsp salt)
* 160gm yogurt (I used Yoplait Vanilla Yogurt)
* 4 bananas (fully ripen. I used about 260gm total)
* Handful of walnuts (I dry-fry them in a pan before chopping them; I have no toaster. Sob.)

This is what I did:

1. Line the base of the baking tins with grease-proof paper and lightly grease the sides of the tins.

2. In a mixer, cream butter and add sugar gradually in 2-3 batches. Make sure it is well combined before each addition.

3. Add in egg little by little. Beat till creamy.

4. Add in salt and mix well.

5. Mash bananas with a fork and add into mixture. Mix well gently.

6. Sift together the dry ingredients: Flour, Baking Soda and Baking Powder

7. Add in 1/3 flour mixture and mix well, followed by yogurt and mix well.

8. Add in remaning flour. Use a spatula to fold into mixture till you do not see any more traces of flour. Be careful not to over stir the batter. Once flour is incorporated, STOP.

9. Add in chopped walnuts and mix well.

10. Pour into baking tins. Give it a slight knock to release air bubbles, and even out the mixture accordingly.

11. Bake in pre-heated oven at 180degC for 50-60 minutes, till golden brown and thoroughly cooked. Check doneness with a toothpick.

12. Remove it from oven and let it cool slightly in the tin for 5-10mins.

13. Remove cakes from tins and serve warm with a cuppa coffee.


Psst psst... I was so inspired, I made these for Sons' Teachers' Day celebrations. Boys were mightily proud to bring them to school. I replaced walnuts with chocolate chips and baked them muffin style. Reduce baking time to 40mins. Watch the muffins as it goes... Happy Teachers' Day!






No comments: