Tuesday 4 December 2012

Pandan Juice

Shrek-like drink. Bottoms up? 

I have heard my Mom told me many times how to make your own Pandan Juice. I have seen my MIL done this couple of times. But it took me this long to give this a try. And man! If I had listened more intently and do this earlier myself, I would be one happier baker!

The stubborn streak in me can be rather annoying at times, especially when it doesn't serve any good purpose. *sheepish grin*. Yet my dogged-ness is a trait I refused to relent nor give up nor surrender. It is exactly coz of my "never say die" attitude that has endeared me to many (or so I like to think. Ha!)

I call it Perseverance.

Oh well, back to this, it is soooooooooooooooooo easy! Gosh. No sweat really.



Snip a few stalks of pandan leaves, as fine as you can, with a pair of razor sharp scissors. Place them into a blender, and add an equal amount of water (ie, if you manage to get one cup of cut leaves, then add one cup of water). And puree them away till it resembles moss.



Strain and squeeze those mossy leaves (oh the texture is quite nice on my hands! I kinda like it. Wonder if that's how moss feels like.... yeek!). And repeat the blending with a second cup and 3rd cup of water... reducing the water a little each time you puree them.

The first cup is the best and it just kinda gets lighter as you go along. Measure what you will need and keep the rest in the fridge. It keeps very well; as long as it doesn't start smelling like rotten leaves. After a couple of hours in the fridge, the concentrate of the pandan will settle at the bottom of the container. Now, that is the BEST! Use it for your prized bakes.

No prize for guessing what cake I'm going to bake next.



No comments: