Friday 4 May 2012

Crispy Pan-Fried Steamed Tofu

Time out of the house these days are spent in the smothering heat in the car. With Son3 taking his first nap soundly in the car, I am very reluctant to move or go anywhere or even, to arrange to meet any friends, lest I wake him up. With such odd pockets of time between dropping off Son2 and picking up Son1, fitting me neither here nor there, it's easier to simply 'sweat it out' and be non-commitant to any appointments.

Hence of late, I haven't been able to meet with any friends. Other than What's App-ing each other, and an occasional SMS, really, it's as though I'm living in a tiny world of my own. My car has become much like a little office to me. Equipped with iPad, books and stationery, I spent much of my time in there trying to stay connected at best I can.

What about you? How do you keep in touch with pals? Do you meet them often? Speak often? Pray together often?

Something ought to be done if I do not wish to be 'friend-less' as I age. Let me think. Let me think.

Coming back to blogging proper, what an oxymoron! Crispy and steamed. Brain fried by heat, that's why. Can't think of anything. Oh by the way, they serve this in Jumbo Seafood restaurant too, you know?!

But this is, accordingly to Man, his best all time favorite! He was full of praises as he bites and chew them. He really has a thing for fried stuff I must say. (But I'm secretly pleased. Pat on my shoulder. Way to go baby!)

Was supposed to use water chestnut. I replaced it with onions because I can't find water chestnut that day. And the sun was way toooo hot for me to venture out (speaking of which, I ought to increase my SPF coverage!)

Next time I do this again, I shall...

1. Remember to add cornstarch to the mashed mixture. Maybe because I forgot to add it this time, the end product was rather... what's the word... mmm... 'loose' (?). You know what I mean? The fried cube didn't feel 'solid'. Though the egg was to act as a binder, I think the cornstarch will help to hold it together better.

2. Keep the cooled tofu 'cake' in the fridge for a couple of hours. I find that when they are chilled, the tofu 'cake' feels tighter and is easier to fry. Less fragile. But it's tofu afterall, so still you have to handle with lots of tender, loving care!

This is a sure winner of the month. (If you happen to read this blog now, you will not see any pictures. Coz I haven't loaded them yet. But I cannot wait to share the recipe coz friends are asking... so here you go for now. Pictures akan datang.)

Here's what you'd need:

Mashed Tofu:
* 1 slice of Picnic Ham (chopped to bits)
* Carrot (shredded. I used only 1/3 of a carrot stick)
* 1/2 Onion (chopped to bits)
* Few strands of Spring onions (chopped to bits)
* 150gm Fish Paste (readily available in supermarket)
* 3 Egg Tofu (I used Fortune)
* 1 egg
* 1/2 tsp cornstarch (shall remember to add this next time!)
* Salt and pepper to taste (which i omitted)

Frying Tofu:
* Tapioca flour (for frying)

This is what I did:

1. In a mixing bowl, mix together 'Mashed Tofu'. I used a handheld electric mixer. Mix till the tofu mixture is still slightly lumpy.

2. Pour mixture into a steaming pan. I used a springform pan (those you use for baking cake with the removable base). Level the top.

3. Place into steamer and steam on medium heat for 8-10 mins, till the top is set. To check doneness, poke with a fork. Over-steaming will cause the tofu to release water I find.

4. Once done, remove pan from steamer and let 'cake' cool completely in pan. (Don't worry if it looks watery or soft. This is mashed tofu, remember? It is supposed to be soft.)

5. At this point after cooling, you may wish to either remove the 'cake' from the pan by sliding base off the sides like you would a cake, or place the entire pan in the fridge for further cooling.

6. When ready to fry, cut steamed tofu into rectangle. Prepare a plate of Tapioca flour. Heat a pan of oil (sufficient for frying) till hot, reduce fire to maintain heat.

7. Coat each piece of tofu generously with flour and fry on medium heat till golden brown. Dish up and serve immediately.



No comments: