Wednesday 22 February 2012

Salted Egg Prawns

I'm late! I'm so far behind my post!

These days I realised, I have to rely on my posts to dig out my last cook in order to recall the steps. There are just some inevitable 'off-days' that I simply find it difficult remembering what I did. Maybe it is my benefit that I started on this. In the unfortunate event that I start turning senile or develop acute dementia, I can look back at these and remember how crazy I used to be.

Man brought us to this real ulu restaurant at Sungei-something and we ordered this Salted Egg Butter Crab. And it was sooooooooooooo good! Served piping hot, with that buttery taste, infused with salted egg... it was heavenly! I scrutinized the dish, probed every nook & cranny,... and swear I must replicate it at home. Coz it was soooooooooooo expensive for that plate of 2 Sri Lanka crabs. *Heart attack*

Since my boys can't quite appreciate Crabby yet, I tried it on prawns. And wolala! It was good. Except I should have added m-o-r-e salted eggs. I only used 2 here; I would use 4 next time. And slightly more seasoning on my prawns.


Here's what you'd need:

* B-i-g prawns (shelled, deveined)
* Salted Egg (need yolk only. I used 2 here; will use 4)
* Corn starch
* 1 egg (chicken egg)
* Minced garlic
* Curry Leaves (a handful)
* 1 tbsp Butter
* Lettuce (for base to soak oil; can use kitchen towels instead)

This is what I did:

1. Wash prawns, shelled and deveined them. Season with chicken stock powder and pepper (else, you can season with salt and pepper). Set aside.

2. Wash the salted eggs off the black mud cover. Boil and cook the egg (liken hard boiled eggs). Remove yolk from the white after cooked. (Whites can be used for other purposes). Mash yolk till crumby. Set aside.

3. Prepare your batter: 1 chicken egg with corn starch. Adjust amount to get that starchy, pasty consistency for deep frying the prawns.

4. In a wok with heated oil, deep fry the batter-coated prawns till 80% cooked. Slightly golden brown. Drained and set aside.

5. Remove some oil from the wok, leaving just enough for stir-fry.

6. Add minced garlic, fry slightly.

7. Add curry leaves. Fry till fragrant.

8. Add butter. Fry till it's bubbly. Add in the salted egg. Fry.

9. Add in the prawns. Stir fry slightly and coat prawns with the salted egg batter in the wok.

10. Dish up and serve hot. (Garnish with coriander leaves for styling if you like)

No comments: