Friday 3 February 2012

Pound Cakes

This is one post that I keep forgetting to post. Yet a sure winner anytime! The (lousy) photo really does not do it justice! Urgh! I promise I will update this page again the next time I bake this and do my utmost to get the perfect shot!

I kinda recall that I heard... or read... somewhere (please excuse me; as you age, you tend to really forget many things) that we are not to fret over the 'crack' on the top of a pound cake. Because that is the 'characteristic' of a pound cake.

Am I hallucinating?

Anyway, yes, I have tried many different permutations to 'minimise' the cracks. But to no avail. All attempts yield cracked pound cakes. Some really bad, some not so bad. But crack(s) there will be.

Perhaps I may have over-beaten the batter? Or my oven temperature is a tad too hot? Or due to sudden change in temperature when I remove it from the oven onto tabletop to cool?... Whichever, whatever, it has stopped bothering me. Really.

Coz this is really really really very very very good! I cannot over-emphasize it is really, absolutely, completely, totally, mind-blowing-ly yummy-licious! So, all else is forgiven. Muahahahahaha...

This proportion only yield one loaf. C'mon! You gotta be joking right!? 1 hour of baking for only ONE pathetic loaf?! So I tripled the proportion and bake 3 loaves each time. *grin*. Look. It is the same 60-mins baking time.

I replace portion of the vanilla essence with coffee emulco. And ooooooh!!! Everyone always grin with delight when they bite into it. You've just got to try this!


Here's what you'd need (one loaf tin portion):

* 3 large eggs
* 3tbsp milk
* 1 1/2tsp vanilla essence (I used 1tsp coffee emulco, 1/2 tsp vanilla)
* 1 1/2cup (150gm) sifted cake flour (errr,... I didn't sift... too lazy)
* 1tsp baking powder
* 1/4tsp salt
* 3/4cup (150gm) white sugar (I used 120gm)
* 185gm unsalted butter (melted)


This is what I did:

1. In a bowl, lightly combine eggs, milk and essence(s)

2. In a separate bowl, mix dry ingredient: Flour, baking powder, salt and sugar

3. Add butter and 1/2 of egg mixture into dry ingredient

4. Mix at low speed till dry ingredients are moist

5. Increase speed to medium. Beat for 1 minute (it is said, if recipe says 1 minute, do not beat for a second more. STOP!!)

6. Add 1/2 of remaining egg mixture. Beat for 30sec (again, not one sec more!)

7. Add all of remaining egg mixture. Beat for another 30sec (same warning as above)

8. Pour batter into lined bake tin

9. Bake at preheated oven (175degC) for 60mins

10. Insert skewer to check doneness. Remove tin from oven. Let it sit for a further 15 mins to set the cake before inverting on wire rack to cool.

11. Serve it warm or chilled as you fancy. (Personally, I love it both ways. When it's freshly warm, it is soft and moist. When it's chilled, the cake is slightly denser and 'tighter', but never dry.)

Psst psst... sometimes I will make two loaves of plain butter pound cake and one loaf of coffee pound cake. So, you will have to adjust your mixing portions accordingly. 

Did I tell you? I love Stephanie? Recipe adapted from hers.

No comments: