Wednesday 26 October 2011

Black Bean Pork Ribs Soup

One of the most hearty soups I love! Do you know black beans are an excellent source of protein, fiber and antioxidant properties - among many other benefits?

Particularly true when the weather has turned cool, this soup warms up the body due to the beans nutrition. Thank goodness my boys enjoy this soup very much (they are soup lovers)! So I had no problem making them finish their bowls. Often, they will have seconds! *wink*




Ingredients:

Pork ribs - blanched (depending on no of people at the table, I usually cook about 6-8pieces)
120gm black beans (rinsed)
Water - 6 soup bowls
1 Honey date
Wolfberry (handful) - optional
Salt to taste


Here's what I did:
1. In the Endo inner pot, bring half portion of the water to a boil.

2. Add in the blanched pork ribs and honey date. Boil for about 15-20mins. Remove pot from fire and place into the thermal pot to self-cook.

 3. Fry the rinsed black beans in a clean wok (do not use oil nor seasoning).





















4. Continue frying the beans till you see them 'crack open', ie. clear white line appears across the middle of the beans (this step helps to quicken the softening of the beans)

5. Transfer fried beans to slow cooker, pour in the remaining half portion of water and set on high.

6. Slow cook for about 2hrs.

7. Transfer slow-cooked beans soup into the pork ribs soup. Bring Soup to a boil, add wolfberry and salt to taste.

8. Return pot to thermal pot and let it self-cook further.









 







psst psst...
~ I have this habit of placing a porcelain soup spoon while boiling my beans. So I placed it in the slow cooker.
~ I use my 2L Thermal Pot to cook all my soups. For bigger portion, I use the 4.5L Tiger Thermal Pot. Hmmmm... I should blog about these pots! They are MAGIC! Bare with me while I gather photos and post them.
~ The longer the Soup stays in the thermal pot, the softer the ribs and beans will be. I let mine stay in there for at least 6hrs.

No comments: