Friday 30 December 2011

Candy Cane 'Buns'

A-c-t-u-a-l-l-y... I have never eaten a single candy cane. I have seen them all over candy shops, especially during Christmas... But no one ever gave me one. Sob*. And whenever my children receive them in their goody bags, I quietly, secretly, discreetly... ahem... throw them away.

Because I think they are not good for health. They must be very sweet, right? Ever heard of sugar-rush? I do not like the idea of a bunch of high-on-sugar boys ruining my day or life.

Till I saw these by Wendy and I said to myself, why not? I have to try and make it. So, I made about 16 candy canes! Divided the dough into 4 portions and mix in 4 different colourings. Red, Orange, Green and Blue. And they turned out BEAUTIFUL!

Quite instantly, my kitchen worktable was transformed into a kaleidoscope of colours. Everyone who walked by my table cannot help but exclaimed how beautiful these colourful candy canes are! I packed them individually in clear wrapper and gave them away as Christmas treats. Instant hit!

Tastewise, they are really so-so. They are just very simple steamed buns. But if you ask me, I love buns. LOL. A friend commented that it took her a while to identify with the taste. She had expected to bite into a cane of sugar, only to be greeted by a plain bun.

Nonetheless, this is sure one creative way to twirl and make your mantou! And Wendy was right, this is definitely a lot healthier than the real candy cane.

Ingredients:

1tsp instant yeast
125ml water
Pinch of sugar

250gm plain flour
50gm sugar
13gm shortening (I used unsalted butter)
1tsp baking powder

Food colouring: Red, Orange, Green & Blue

Here's what I did:

1. Mix yeast with water and sugar. Stir and set aside. It should become frothy in about 10 minutes time

2. Mix plain flour, sugar and baking powder together. Put in butter and yeast mixture. Knead till a rough dough is formed.

3. Divide dough into 4 equal portions about 110gm each. Add teeny weeny drop of colouring to each part and knead until a smooth dough is formed. Cover and proof for about 30mins.

4. Make 15gm dough for each colour. I yielded about 15-16 of each colour.

5. Roll each ball into a long strand. Twirl with another colour. Place on a baking paper.

6. Complete all the twirling and twisting.

7. Let shaped dough cover and proof for another 45 mins.

8. Steam on high heat for 10-12minutes. Cool and serve. Some people like it hot, but I find it nicer warm.

No comments: