Wednesday 9 November 2011

Glutinous Rice

Are you like me?
Do you like sticky rice?
Do you like dried shrimp?
Do you like diced mushrooms?
Do you like GLUTINOUS RICE?!

I love them. It reminds me of my childhood when my paternal grandmother used to make it. And my mom used to make that too! I love the smell, the taste, the texture! And I had to learn to make it, no matter what! So I asked my Mom to teach me... and never realised it's soooooooooooo easy! Wow man! Why did I ever bother to buy from outside?!

And to my surprise, even Man likes glutinous rice too! He never tell, so I never knew. Why didn't I ever asked? Hmmm... ...

So, this time, I had some leftover Black Soya Sauce Pork Belly... and wonder what else can I do with it other than to heat it up and serve at the table again. Till a great idea bings in my head!... Glutinous Rice! yummmm...

But now, for the life of me, I can't find the picture that I took of it! And the rice is warmly tucked into my tummy now!... arggghhhhhh... Will post pictures the next time I make them again (just made over the weekend; and as my Mom says, cannot eat glut-rice too often!... don't know why, do you?). Just made them again yesterday and managed to post the pictures here... pics posted on 16 Nov '11.


Ingredients:

1 1/2 C of Glutinous Rice
Handful of Dried Shrimp (rinsed, and soaked)
2 pieces of Dried Scallop (rinsed, and soaked)
3 Dried Mushrooms (rinsed, and soaked, sliced / diced)
Pork Belly (leftover, sliced)
Pork Belly soya sauce (leftover)
Garlic (chopped to bits)

Here's what I did:

1. Rinsed and soak glutinous rice for at least 4 hrs (I soaked them overnight)

2. At the same time, soak dried shrimp, dried scallop and dried mushrooms -- in separate bowls.

3. In a hot wok, add oil and fry garlic till fragrant.

4. Add in dried shrimp, dried scallop and diced mushrooms. Fry till fragrant (do not throw away the bowls of 'soaking water').

5. Add in sliced pork belly.

6. Add in glutinous rice (discard water).

7. Mix and fry all ingredients until well combined. Add in the bowls of soaking water and soya sauce. Add in additional salt / seasoning if desired. (You may wish to go slightly heavier on the seasoning because the rice is tasteless and it does take away the taste a bit).

8. Add in more water to make the ingredients slightly wet. (It will be rather starchy at this stage because of the glutinous rice grains, and that is fine).

9. Transfer into aluminum foil dish and wrap to steam on high for 30mins.


10. Let it cool and serve (with diced spring onions and deep fried shallots - optional).


psst psst... Ever gone to restaurant and packed Kong Bah Bao home? Now, that is the best pork you can add into this glutinous rice! Just remember NOT TO discard the sauce. Dump it all in and fry ;)

.....

No comments: