Friday 11 November 2011

Cinnamon Bread Roll

I never liked cinnamon. I find the smell... mmm... how should I describe... to say the least, repulsive. Its too sweet-smelling for my liking; I always walk away when I smell it in the store / bakery / cafe.

Yet, magic happened! It actually happened to me!

I saw some very enticing cinnamon bread bun in some blogs. HappyFlour, Happy Home Baking,... and I was tempted to try. No looking back since! I LOVE it! And I figured it was because, as with anything home baked, you are IN CONTROL - of the ingredient, the quantity, the proportion!

The key lies in the amount of cinnamon you use. And ahem,... I use just enough to get the taste... far from overpowering. Man says I can afford to go a bit heavier on the cinnamon since he can't taste it. *roll eyeball*

For the sweet bread roll, I adapted from Table for 2  Sweet Bread & Bun, but less the Milk Powder, and made some fine adjustments.



Ingredients:

500gm Bread Flour
80gm Sugar

11gm Yeast
220ml of water
pinch of sugar
1 egg

85gm butter
1/2 tsp salt

Cinnamon Filling:
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
2 tbsp brown sugar
Butter (for spread)


Here's what I did:

1. Following the order of my breadmaker, I set the machine to Dough and let it knead and proof.

2. Take out the proofed dough from maker, on a lightly floured surface, punch down and knead for a further 1min.

3. Roll the dough into a rectangular piece as thin as possible (about 5mm thick, estimate only). With a butter knife, I spread butter on it.

4. In a clean bowl, mix cinnamon and brown sugar. Sprinkle cinnamon filling and brush them on the buttered dough. Roll it up swiss roll style.

5. Cut into 1 - 1.5inch long. Lay them swirl side up, close to each other on the bake tray.

6. Cover and let it proof for another hour till double (the rolls should be sticking to each other by now). When ready to bake, do an egg wash on the surface and sprinkle some cinnamon filling on top.

7. Bake in preheated oven at 180degC for 20 mins until golden brown.

psst psst...
* I have some leftover dough and can't squeeze them into the bake tray anymore, so, I use my muffin tray and have about 2-3 rolls in each pocket.
* I use disposable HomeProud aluminum bake tray.
* Since Man said I can afford to put more cinnamon, I will try 3tbsp cinnamon + 4tbsp brown sugar the next time. :)

No comments: