Wednesday 5 December 2012

Pandan Chiffon Cake

As you can see, I am on the chiffon roll. In less than 10 days, I have done all that I have ever wanted to do... Coffee Chiffon, Chocolate Chiffon, Orange Chiffon*, Mango Yogurt Chiffon*, and this -- an all time Singapore signature -- Pandan Chiffon!

No chiffon baking is complete without this really. Whether you succeed is secondary, the FAQ will always be "Have you baked a Pandan Chiffon?"

The most informative site I found was from ieatishootipost. He writes really well (ahem, of course, he's a d-o-c-t-o-r alright!). I learnt a lot from his analysis of this temperamental cake. Yet when it comes to my turn to put my hands on this, I totally forgot to 'revise' his notes and I happily went with Wendy's. With all due respect to my Guru, my cake didn't turn out as well as I had anticipated (my bakes from her always succeed). Sorry Wen, I don't know what went wrong. I followed you to the T.

So what happened?

First, it says to mix coconut milk with pandan juice, which I did. And to it, add the flour, which I also did. Instead of a well mixed batter, I get a dough! I gasped and slapped my forehead. I read and reread the Steps again, checked and counter-checked my measurements, umpteen times, just to doubly sure I understood it right. No mistake about it. That was what it said. And so I discarded the dough, and collected a new set of ingredients and I went back to the drawing board.

This time, I did it my way.

Beat egg yolk with sugar till very pale, ie, ribbon stage. Then I added the coconut milk, then the pandan juice, and then the flour in 3 successions.

And the whites, and the folding, and the knocking and the blar blar blar...

Popped into the oven, and went on my life. For 45 mins.

Peek-a-Boo... Can you see the cake up there? 
It hung sooooo dearly onto the pan when cooling inverted. I was happy.

But it wasn't browned. And it shrank a lot as it cools. I left it hanging for about 2 hours before unmolding the cake. And the top cracked, though many will tell you it doesn't matter coz you serve a chiffon upside down.

Taste? Very good I must say! I reduced the sugar from the yolk to 50gm and it tasted just right. But my Mother said it wasn't light and airy like a chiffon ought to be. It is dense and heavy (well, not exactly d-e-n-s-e dense but just denser and heavier than a chiffon), and I don't know why... This is when my doggedness come in, TRY AGAIN!

I have a tall glass of freshly squeezed pandan juice in my fridge, and so I believe I will try another pandan chiffon recipe, once I re-gain my courage.

I ought not quit till my glass of Pandan Juice is depleted, or till I succeed in achieving an air-borne chiffon.

(*Not posting coz it didn't pass the Jury's test)

Here's what you'd need:

Egg Yolk
* 5 egg yolks
* 50gm sugar (original recipe uses 100gm)
* 150gm cake flour (or plain flour)
* 180gm coconut milk (I used Kara, will use UHT coconut milk next time)
* Pinch of salt
* 70gm freshly squeezed pandan juice (concentrated)
* Droplet of Pandan essence or Green colouring (optional; to heighten taste and colour respectively)

Egg White Meringue
* 5 egg whites
* 1/4tsp cream of Tartar
* 100gm sugar

This is what I did:

1. Preheat your oven to 170degC.

2. Separate your eggs into two mixing bowls. Yolks and Whites.

3. With a paddle attachment, beat your egg yolk till light and add in the sugar. Till very pale in colour (liken softened butter; ie, ribbon stage).

4. Add in Coconut milk. Stir on KA Speed 1. Add in Pandan Juice on Speed 1. Drop in a droplet of pandan essence or colouring. 

5. In 3 successions, add in flour and on Speed 1, stir to mix. Set batter aside.

6. With a whisk, beat your egg whites till frothy. Speed 6.

7. Add in Cream of Tartar, and continue to beat till runny. In 3 successions, add in the sugar. On Speed 8, beat till stiff peak.

8. Fold 1/3 of the meringue into the egg yolk batter, and another 1/3. Eventually, the reminder. Fold gently and be careful not to deflate the meringue.

9. Pour into an ungreased chiffon pan. Level the batter and gently tap the pan to release any trapped air bubbles in the batter.

10. Bake for 40-45mins. Midway (once the cake is puffed up), reduce temperature to 160degC and continue baking.

11. Check doneness with a toothpick.

12. Invert the chiffon to cool completely in the pan. Upside down. Let it cool completely.

13. Unmold and serve. 



No comments: