Saturday 20 October 2012

Panini Sandwich

A toastedly, meltedly, crunchily, divine no-brainer.

Panini is an Italian pressed toast that's put together by any bread, typically Ciabatta. To it, one usually add prosciutto, ham or other deli, and cheese. It is served warm after toasting or pressing them together in a panini press (liken a sandwich toast).

In United States and UK, it's been adopted to be called "toasted sandwich". Ahhhh... doesn't it sound less foreign now?

Since I only have a grill pan, I improvised. Just two slices of bread of any kind, I would usually use ciabatta. Slice half horizontally. To it, spread your pesto, and some olive oil,add your vegetables, cheese and a meat. With a spatula, press them together and toast on your grill pan. Flip and toast it lightly on both sides.

Be sure that the meat is cooked before sandwiching it. Grill toasting does not cook the meat, it merely heat up to melt the cheese.

So what did I toast it with?
* Slices of honey baked ham
* Shredded chicken with mayonnaise
* Mushroom with cheese (resembling mushroom swiss)
* Sausage slices

So why ciabatta and not sandwich slices? Hmmm... I personally find ciabatta holds it together better without becoming overly soggy. When I pack this for my son's recess, the toast remain pretty fresh even after 3 hours. Quite unlike a normal sandwich bread.

But of course there are days when sandwich loaf is more readily available. So in a hurry to have my carb-fix, I make the simplest ever with sandwich bread -- as you can see from the picture, quite taken in a rush (hmmm... actually I have some tomato slices in it... can you spot them).

Simple, fast and easy. Even a boy can make this.

No comments: